The first ever cancer-only insurance policy in NZ is now available from online provider Pinnacle Life.
What is Cancer Cover?
Cancer Cover is a form of stripped-down trauma insurance.
Whereas trauma insurance typically covers as many as 30 different ailments and is expensive, Cancer Cover focuses on the most significant of these risks, being Cancer. To put this in perspective, over 85% of trauma claims paid out by insurers relate to just three conditions – cancer, heart attack and stroke – and if you break this down further, 80% of these claims relate to cancer.
Cancer Cover is part of Pinnacle Life's bid to win younger, price-conscious policyholders from the big insurers who dominate in trauma insurance.
Why does Cancer Cover appeal to younger consumers?
Many of the conditions covered and paid for under trauma insurance are related to ageing… such as heart attacks, heart bypass surgery, stroke, arthritis, Alzheimer's and chronic lung disease. Whilst there is obviously some risk associated with these diseases for any consumer, more and more people in their 20’s and 30’s just don’t see the value in paying to cover these conditions. They see them as extremely low risk.
Any stats to support this?
- Cancer is the leading cause of death in NZ, accounting for 30% of all deaths.
- 1 in 6 people will be diagnosed with cancer between the age of 30 and 64.
- For females the biggest cancer killer is breast cancer. All women have a chance of developing breast cancer at some point in their lives.
- Breast cancer accounts for 17% of all female cancer deaths and around 1 in 9 women in NZ will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some stage in their lives.
- For males, lung cancer is the highest killer – accounting for 21% of male cancer deaths. However, prostate cancer represents the highest incidence of male cancer – 25% of all male cancer cases.
- In 2005 (latest NZ stats that I can find online) there were 18,610 new registrations of cancer in NZ and 7,971 deaths. This means there were almost 11,000 more people living with cancer than the previous year.
Why is cancer different to other ailments such as heart disease?
Cancer doesn’t correlate with age to the same extent that many other ailments do… even the young and the fit are susceptible. Like super-cyclist Lance Armstrong (testicular cancer in his 20’s), Wallaby rugby player Julian Huxley (brain tumour), cancer doesn’t respect how young or healthy you are. It just happens.
And if you’re unlucky enough to be diagnosed with cancer, the financial consequences can be severe. You may need to take time off work. Or you may need to remodel your lifestyle, or you may need to find cash for to fund cancer treatment or medication.
That’s where Cancer Cover comes in… affordable cover that pays a lump sum if you’re diagnosed with Cancer.
Is Cancer Cover more affordable for younger people?
Pinnacle's cancer policy pays up to $250,000 if you’re diagnosed with cancer. The specialised scope of the cover can save a bundle in premiums. A 40-year-old non-smoker in good shape with limited history of cancer in the family buying the cancer cover would pay only $19 a month for $100,000 of cover… compared with $37.55 that you’d typically pay for trauma cover in NZ.
You can get Life Cover online in less than 10 minutes…