Get a quote


Get advice

Get advice

Can I get Income Protection cover if I’m self-employed?

Can I get Income Protection cover if I’m self-employed?

Making sure that you have protection if you can’t work if you are ill or injured is particularly important if you’re self-employed as you are likely to have less of a safety net then employees, with their statutory access to sick and annual leave.

Luckily if you’re self-employed you can get income protection cover, and the conditions will depend on the insurance company you are dealing with.

With Pinnacle Life if you’re self-employed you can get cover if you’ve been averaging working at least 30 hours per week over a two year period.

When you come to claim, we’ll first ask for your last IRD return showing your gross taxable annual income. We’d normally expect that it would show the amount you’ve earned directly from your usual self-employed occupation. This will then form the basis of the amount payable under your claim, being either 60% or 75% of your average monthly income after tax (depending on what you choose when you took out your policy).

If you are unable to work due to an injury, your income protection payments will be adjusted to reflect any payment that might be made by ACC to you as well. But remember that for well over 90% of cases where people are unable to work the cause is illness not injury, so don’t just count on ACC to look after if anything untoward happens.

Click on the button below to get an income protection quote now.

Share this...
Income Protection

Income Protection insurance pays you a monthly amount if you are unable to work, due to illness or injury.

Fancy a no-obligation quote in under 10 seconds?

A notification message goes here.