Change your level of cover
Can I increase or decrease my level of cover?
Of course! We understand that your personal situation is going to change over time, and by adjusting the level, or type of cover you have, you can be sure you’ll have the right support if you need to claim on your policy.
To increase your cover, we’ll usually have to ask you for updated health details, but:
- for life cover, if you recently married or divorced, became a parent, or took out a mortgage, you might be eligible for our special events increase.
- for income protection cover, if you let us know within 60 days that your income has gone up, we may be able to give you a proportional increase without additional information.
- for funeral cover, please contact us to discuss your options.
You can reduce your cover at any time by sending us a formal request. The easiest way to do this, is to request a quote for the new level of cover you want.
You can request a quote below or by calling us on 0800 22 22 23. If you’re ready to apply for an increase or add a cover to your policy, or you’d like a more personalised quote then provide us with your updated health details. Either way we’ll be back to you as soon as possible with the next steps.
Increasing your cover for a special event
Sometimes life changes. Your policy provides a way to recognise some of these big life events.
If you (the person being covered) are still under 60 we may be able to increase your cover, without asking for updated health information. We can usually do this if in the last six months you’ve
- entered a civil union,
- divorced, or
- become a parent
or if in the last three months you’ve
- taken out a new mortgage, or
- increased your current mortgage.
Your Life Cover can be increased by up to $250,000 or 50% of the amount you originally applied for, or by the amount your mortgage has increased, whichever is lowest. Serious and Critical Illness covers are the same but with a maximum increase of $100,000.
There are some limits around who this is available to, but if you fit the criteria above its worth checking with us.
All you need to do is complete this form and send it to us (a scanned copy is fine) with the appropriate documentation.